WHAT I READ | AUGUST 2018

Tuesday 4 September 2018



August was the month that I read a lot and finally read all the books on my shelf that have been sitting for over a year and I still hadn't read. Obviously, everyone reads at different paces so what might be a lot to me, might be hardly any to you so no judging! I thought instead of reviewing all the books separately I would give mini reviews all in one post, apart from maybe two books where I have written their own reviews for. Before I start rambling, I will just get started. If you want to see how I rate a book then you can go over to my Goodreads and follow me over there.

Animal Farm by George Orwell




Rating: ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

This was the first book I read in August, recommended by my grandad. I am really into politics and learning about the state of countries now and in the past. I am sure many of you have read Animal Farm before but if you haven't I definitely think you should. Animal Farm is about the events leading up to the Russian Revolution.

It is a very short book with only 112 pages, which you could literally finish in a day or a couple of days depending on your reading pace. It is such a classic that there was no way I could give it under four stars. I had to find out a bit of history before I could really get into it and understand it. The main plot of the story is there is Farmer Jones who is the main farmer of Manor Farm and the animals did not like how they were being treated so they decide to take over the farm and make every animal equal but as time goes on, equality does not quite stay.

Overall, I do think this a book many people should read. It may not be for everyone but if you are into history or politics or just generally like books from the past this book is for you. I think reading this book just shows how it does not matter when a book is published if it is really loved and makes a statement people could be reading it 50 years or even a 100 years down the road.

The Ex by Alafair Burke



Rating: ✩ ✩

This was the second book I read in August, in conjunction with Animal Farm. I was really looking forward to delving into this book. I love a good mystery, some being The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl, I saw this in the shops at the same time I read those books so a while ago but didn't get a chance to read it until now. As I said I was so excited to read it but once I had, I was rather disappointed.

The main synopsis of this book is that Olivia Randell, a lawyer decides to help her ex when he is accused and being framed for murder. You then go about and find out more information as to why it seems likely or unlikely to have committed such an act.

However, it was nowhere near being addicting. You pretty much find out all the information in the beginning so a good half of the book is boring and not really needed. It is pretty much Olivia trying to figure out what to do with all the information we already know. I will say though, I didn't see the ending but it was so rushed. You find out the truth, in about 3 pages and then it is done and I am left with so many questions, it literally doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Honestly, I would just skip this book and not read it if I was you.

Fire Colour One by Jenny Valentine 



Rating: ✩ ✩ ✩ 

Fire Colour One is about a young girl, Iris who reconnects with her father after years and finally finds out the truth as to why she has not seen him in years. In the book, we also learn about the relationship between Iris and her best friend. 

This book was a nice read but never compelled me. I wouldn't necessarily reread or recommend it to anyone but it wasn't terrible. Some parts of the book were interesting but most of the parts I would describe as a bit dull. However, I think this book has my favourite cover out of them all, I like how simple it is but it definitely was one of the reasons I was drawn to this book.

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini



Rating: ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Hands down my favourite of the selection of books I have read this month. I could not put this book down. I know this was a popular book so if you have not read it yet, definitely pick this one up.

It is about a young boy named Craig, who put all his effort into getting into a good Secondary school and getting good grades to start off his future in a good start. However, after getting into one of the best schools, Craig starts to struggle with his mental health and starts to feel suicidal and eventually decides to phone the suicide hotline, who encourage him to go and check himself into a mental hospital. In which he does and then we go along with Craig and his time in the hospital and meet a lot of interesting characters.

Although this book is about depression, it is nowhere near depressing. It is actually funny and such an uplifting story. If you yourself have depression and are hesitant to read this in case this makes your mental state any worse, I highly doubt that will happen with this book and I encourage you to start reading it and if you feel yourself feeling worse (which would shock me) then I suggest to stop reading immediately. I would reread this book now if I didn't have a load of books on my tbr waiting on being read. I loved this book so much.

Whistle in the Dark by Emma Healey 



Rating: ✩ ✩

Now if you haven't read my recent review on this book, click here if you want to read it as I won't be talking in much detail in this post due to already making a post on it. I thought The Ex was going to be the worst book of the month once I had read that one but oh no, I read one worst. I never stopped reading halfway through, the only thing keeping me going is knowing I still wanted to write a review on it no matter what. 

I've never disliked two characters more in my life. I just couldn't find any part of Lana or Jen likeable. The way the book was written was confusing in itself and just a bit boring. It seemed like a great idea of a story but it was not executed well at all and just a bore. 

I would not recommend reading at all and just skip and find a better book. Don't waste your time. 


Five Books this month was pretty impressive for me and I am really happy with myself this month. Some great books this month and the others pretty disappointing. Did you read any books this month? If so what was your favourite book you had read this month?







9 comments

  1. This is so impressive, I wish I could read at a quicker pace but tend to get distracted, I am currentky trying to read more and have three new books in the works... Will definitely be checking out some of these x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a pretty great reading month! I've only read 1984 by George Orwell, but I really enjoyed it, so I may pick up Animal Farm sometime, too. I've been meaning to read It's Kind of A Funny Story for a while now, so I'm excited to hear that you really enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 'It's Kind of a Funny Story'. I have been thinking about reading it again actually!

    Kirstiekinsblogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any of these books before, but I'll definitely be looking out for them on my next bookshopping trip xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've had some absolutely incredible books during August!

    Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I've not read any of these before. I'm in need of some new books already so I'll have to check some of these out x

    Tiffany x www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one of these I've read is It's Kind of a Funny Story and I really loved that book. I wouldn't recommend the film though!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay so I need to read 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' immediately, it sounds great! I also have to admit I've never read Animal Farm, I really need to get that sorted soon! Thanks for your honest reviews, I love when people actually say a book wasn't good!
    Beth x Adventure & Anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can barely manage to read a book a year so I don't know how on earth you can manage so many in one month, teach me your ways!!

    Vicki | www.missviclb.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© RebeccaxElaine. Design by FCD.