My Nexplanon Experience

Wednesday 13 December 2017



I've had my Nexplanon implant for about six months now. With it being so controversial and having many mixed opinions, I thought I would sit down and give you my experience so far and my reasoning behind getting it. Of course, everyone will have different experiences, so just because this is what I have felt and had throughout doesn't mean you will be the same. Just thought I would give you that disclaimer. This is going to be a long post so brace yourselves but I wanted to include as much information I could.

My reasoning for getting the implant was because I was seventeen, I was getting older and with it being a three year contraception, I knew when the time came I would already be protected. In addition, I had just got into a relationship, I wanted to be protected before even thinking about going to the next step of it. I am also very forgetful, I knew that if I got the pill, I would forget about it or I wouldn't take it on time and I didn't want to have any risks of getting pregnant, especially with starting university in a couple of months. I had actually thought about getting the implant for a while and I just decided one day to get up and go to my nearest sexual health clinic on the drop in day and go get it inserted.

The Insertion was not as bad as you would think. First, I went into a room and a nurse asked me a few questions just about how regular my period is, how heavy it is, could I be pregnant etc... she also told me the side effects of it and just told me what happens throughout the procedure. Then I went back out to the waiting room and after the longest fifthteen minutes of my life I was called in and it was time. I lay on the examination table and she first injected the anesthetic to numb the area, I ain't going to sugarcoat it, it hurt like a b*tch! However, it was over within seconds so it was bearable. It is definitely worth the point that now I have a lower chance of an oopsie. Then after the jag, she inserted the impant itself, you don't feel a thing when it goes in, just a little bit of pressure from her pushing it in. Not bad at all.

Once the anesthetic wore off, I did feel a little bit of soreness and tenderness on my arm. My arm also bruised instantly. The nurse told me that my arm started bruising whilst she was giving me the anesthetic jag but women don't usually start to bruise until after the nexaplanon is in. However, it is known for me and my family to bruise so easily, so that is just me. For a few days though, it was quite sore when I leaned on it or I would rub against it. That I was not expecting as most people told me I would hardly feel pain after it and if I did it wouldn't be much but actually I was quite sensitive. That could be down to how much I bruise though.

My period changed significantly. I was due my period a week after I got it and the nurse warned me I would probably miss that one, just with all the new hormones going around and rightfully so I did. Then probably a month later I started getting cramps but there was no sign of any period. So I did the one thing you should never do and I googled it and of course it told me I was pregnant (I wasn't). Then two weeks later I started spotting very lightly. This was new to me since I have never spotted in my life before. The spotting probably lasted nearly two weeks before my actual period came, but it was not as nearly as heavy as my periods are usually. I didn't think I used to have that heavy of a period but the comparability of the two types was massive. It had calmed down so much. If you have heavy periods and you want it to calm down, this might be the contraception for you. My spotting/period I believe lasted around 20 days. Which was intense.

Recently though, since those twenty days that I had in September, I have not had one period since. I think I spotted for maybe three days and then it just disappeared. It has been about three months and I have not had a thing. I haven't cramped. Nothing. It is quite nice actually just to be able to go on through your day and not have to worry about a period. At the same time though, it is just engrained in your brain to worry when you don't get your period, so it has been an adjustment. Especially when your periods were consistent, it always came when it was due. Always on the exact day. I think I've had maybe two times in the past where it has came the day before or the day after in the whole time I've had my period. Which has been about four years and it always only lasted five days and now I have nothing.

My hormones, I haven't actually felt a difference in my mood at all. I have really down days but I had them before so it isn't anything that I feel is down to the implant itself. I would say though that if your mood whilst with the implant does change significantly you should go back to your clinic and see if there is anything that they can help to get you back to normal.

I do not regret my decision for getting it what so ever. Luckily for me I have had a joyous experience so far with it. However, just because I have, does not necessarily mean you will too. Some people have had bad experiences with it but I guess it is just down to each and everyone's bodies. With everything, people react differently, no two bodies are the same. If you are thinking of getting it I would definitely recommend it and if it then does not work for you, you can always get it taken out again. I would recommend keeping it for half a year before making the decision though. Your body needs to get used to the new influx of hormones being added to your body. 

I totally understand when people argue that women shouldn't be adding artificial hormones to their bodies. However, when your lifestyle doesn't allow time for a new human being to be brought into the world because of an oopsie, I believe the implant is an amazing, effective method.

These are just my views though. Don't take everything I've said as factual and that my experience will be exactly like yours. I just thought I would share what I have had throughout these six months with the implant just in case anyone was wondering. I know that when I was curious over the fact of getting it, a post like this would have helped me a lot. If you have had the implant or used any other methods I would love to hear about your experience in the comments. Thanks for reading. 

Rebecca x

2 comments

  1. I personally don't like putting things like this into my body but I can see how it can help some women and understand why they choose this option, and I'm really happy to hear that you had a good experience in doing so. I feel like this was a very honest and open post to share babe as it's usually such a hush hush topic for a lot of people. Thanks for sharing beautiful, really interesting read. 💜✨

    With love, Alisha Valerie. x
    www.alishavalerie.com | www.twitter.com/alishavalerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why people don't like it but as in the post I wouldn't have it either if I wasn't in this certain point in my life, young, in uni etc.. I feel as though more people should be more open with topics like these, why should it be hush hush? One day hopefully it will be normal.
      Thanks for reading x

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© RebeccaxElaine. Design by FCD.