MY TAKE ON FEMINISM

Monday 3 April 2017



As a feminist, yes I have finally came out and said that I count myself as a feminist, I believe in equality for all. Generally, most 'feminists' main aim is to fight for equality. We do not want to downgrade men, that is no where near part of our ideology. Very few of us believe that women are in fact superior to men, which is honestly just mind blowing some people believe that we ourselves think that. If this was to happen in the world and women were given more opportunities that men then we would have taken two steps forward and five steps back.

There are many reasons that I identify as a feminist. I believe that no matter what gender you are, we should be in a society where we should all be treated the same. Given the same punishments, opportunities etc... I recently wrote an extended essay in my modern studies class in which I will not copy into this post because I am too frightened they will say I plagiarised from my own blog, you know. Also, it will be a tad boring for you to sit and just read an essay on my blog. I use my blog to start a conversation and to try and give you all the facts.

I have found that in the UK, a lot of gender discrimination is actually found in the workplace. A big 'problem' is of women being at child-bearing age or women with children. A third of employers have stated that they are hesitant to employ women that have children. To me this ideology, this way of thinking is very 1950s. Stuck in the past. However, I do understand their reason for this, I understand that women with children generally have their children as their first priority whereas to the employer their business is very important to them and want it to run as smoothly as possible and if having a man do the job seems easier for them, then so it be they will end up hiring a man.2





BUT... How is a woman with children every supposed to feed their children, cloth their children without having a job? Yes, their husband can work to bring in an income but is that really enough? Also, what if they are a single parent? How will it be possible for them to survive? To have an adequate living situation? Plus is a woman with children just never going to have a career again? Once you have children you are done? I am very headstrong that I want to have a good career and be financially stable before I can think about kids but after kids I still very much want a career to go back to. I don't want to be pushed away from my career because I have a family and because I have another priority as well.

Obviously, it is found that a lot of women find themselves receiving less money for a wage than of their male colleagues. Now I don't understand how this can be? If we as women are doing the same job as the man sitting next to us, how are we receiving less money? Shouldn't we be equal? If we are doing the exact same job then I expect to be paid the same amount.





Gender discrimination is a big problem in the UK, especially in the workplace. 15,000 women reported in 2014 that they had received discrimination due to their gender from a fellow colleague or boss. In which there should be no claims at all.

HOWEVER... Now I told you I would present you with all the facts so I shall, Women are not the only ones who receive gender discrimination in the workplace. Carribean women on average in fact earned more than their male counterparts. Showing that some ethnicity groups the roles are reversed.

This points me in the direction of my next point. Feminists don't just have to be women. Many men are feminists as well. Also, feminists are not just for the rights of women, but we want everyone to have fair rights, that includes you men. A few men you may have not known were in fact feminist are Daniel Radcliffe, Ryan Gosling, Will Smith and Ian Somerhalder. So yes, if you are a man reading this then you can class yourself a feminist too.




Also, if you do not want to be a part of the feminist movement. That is too totally fine however I do politely ask for you not to be rude. You can ask questions and find out the truth rather than hating a movement in which is doing no harm and is actually doing good in the world.






14 comments

  1. YESSS!! So many people have the wrong idea of what a feminist is and think it's just for women who burn bras and hate men, whereas you're completely right, men can be feminists too! I never realised the workplace was so bad in England though, I always thought it was bad in America but we were fine here but clearly not which sucks!
    crueltyfreehayley.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to bring to light on the problems that the Uk struggle with too as so many UK residents do not see why there are feminists here too and become very ignorant about it. That was my main goal for the post so glad I managed to show that:)!

      Delete
  2. Yes!!! I love this post! The way you write is gorgeous aswell. I love meeting other feminists and seeing them share their passionate views! 💓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much, this comment means so much to me, especially since I have been having a bad day! I'm glad you enjoyed the post:).

      Delete
  3. This is such a great post! I always love to read posts about feminists and I do consider myself a feminist as well. You write so well and honest, it's really a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I like to give all the facts. To allow people to make their own conclusions. It means a lot that you really liked it!

      Delete
  4. I love this post! It's taught me a lot about what feminism is and I can definitely say I AM a feminist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay! Im glad you love it:) means so much to me!

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you, this is the type of feminism I believe in where all sexs are equal! Love your style of writing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you can agree and thank you so much, means a lot when someone likes my style of writing as recently I've been really self concious about it and feel as if its not as strong as a lot of other bloggers x

      Delete
  6. I loved this post girl! You raised so many good points! People often forget we strive for equality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! For equality all the way!

      Delete
  7. Love this post! Really love your style of writing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, glad you like my style of writing.. something I've been trying to improve for months:).

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© RebeccaxElaine. Design by FCD.